Friday 8 April 2016

Leendert Kooij - 1939-2016 - Visitation & Service details

Visitation:
2:00-4:00pm and 7:00-9:00pm on Sunday April 10, 2016

Memorial Service:
2:00pm on Monday April 11, 2016

Both visitation and memorial service will be held at Springdale Christian Reformed Church. Click here for a map. 


Obituary:

Leendert Kooy (Kooij)
A.R.C.T., Director of the Ontario Christian Music Assembly for 55 years

"Safe in the arms of Jesus", peacefully at Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto on Thursday, April 7, 2016, of Toronto at 76 years of age. Beloved husband of late Maria. Father of Bill & Marg Kooy - Will (Emily), late Lisa, Sandra (Joe), Brandon (Kim); Rick & Monique Kooy - Daniel, Matthew; Johanna & Julio Alburquerque - Jireissy, Jifreissy, Julio Jr.; Harry & Sharon Kooy - Bradley (Laura), Katelyn (Jordan), Stacey (Jon), Jason; Jackie & Paul Dykxhoorn - Joel (Rachel), Joshua (Erika), Jesse (Shannon); Francy & Karl VanderVeen - Maria (Ryan), James (Jamie), Justin (Wendy), Rachel, Sarah; Len & Carrie Kooy - Felicia (Johan), Andrew (Kendall), Thomas, Darren (Alyssa), Evan (Megan); Albert & Mary-Ann Kooy - Peter (Jillayna), Timothy, Rebecca, Daniel, Michael, Carolyn; Benjamin & Joann Kooy - Alex, Jordan; and 15 great grandchildren. Loving brother of Arie & Nienke Kooy; Annie & Klaas Streutker; Kees & Alice Kooy; late Jan & Diane Kooy; Adrian & Willie Kooy. Special thanks to the staff at Sunnybrook Hospital, especially, Dr. Emmenegger and Nurse Sima. Friends may call at the Springdale Christian Reformed Church, 1466 5th Sideroad, Bradford for visitation on Sunday, April 10, 2016 from 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Memorial service will be held at the Church on Monday, April 11, 2016 at 2 p.m. Arrangements entrusted to SKWARCHUK FUNERAL HOME, Bradford (1-800-209-4803).

4 comments:

  1. I knew Leendert from my time with the Springdale CRC. Now and then he's come to an evening service to play the organ. He was a very powerful personality, but very encouraging. Jean and I would attend the funeral service, but we will be attending a funeral in Alliston on the same day at the same time. God bless and keep you strong in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leendert Kooy was one of the first people I got to know when my family moved to Rexdale in 1966. I was just a boy, but going to the same church as the Kooy family meant that Leendert was bound to be one of the first people I got to know in Toronto. Not that I knew him really well, then or since, but our paths crossed often enough: I was privileged to teach many of his kids and grandkids, we bought our piano from him and he regularly came to our house to tune it. Leendert was one of those larger than life personalities, one of those flamboyant people with an irrepressible charisma that compelled you to know him. Leendert was an accomplished musician who played organ in our church on Albion Road back then, played it with flair and zeal. He played organ for my wedding too, along with his son Bill on trumpet.

    At the visitation in Springdale this afternoon I was reminded of one of the songs that was a favourite of Leendert’s, a Dutch children’s hymn, "‘t Scheepke onder Jezus’ hoede". I remember that he chose to include it in one of his early albums of the music he conducted in his bands and choirs. It was a childhood favourite of mine too, a bit of Dutch church culture that survived my own parents’ emigration to Canada, having not been tossed overboard by them in the process of ditching anything that would hinder their adoption of their new country’s language and customs.

    The song is about the biblical story of Jesus and his disciples on a boat on Lake Galilee in a storm. Jesus appears to be asleep and the disciples are scared to death that they will drown. Jesus is awakened, he scolds them for their lack of faith, and then proceeds to calm the storm. The song reassures children that no matter how high the waves and how fierce the winds, with Jesus on board the safe shore of their destination is always at hand.

    I don’t know why I was reminded of this song this afternoon, but it seems to me to be appropriate to Leendert’s life, which was often enough, stormy. No doubt he contributed to the severity of the storms at times. Don’t we all? But it always struck me that inside his breezy confidence was a man of deep faith, who never doubted that the storms he and his family encountered would turn out well because their little boat sailed under the protection of the Master of the wind and the waves and their destination was sure. As always, "safe in the arms of Jesus" indeed! Leendert Kooy’s life touched many people in the GTA and beyond. I shall miss him. Blessings of comfort and peace to all his children, grandchildren, and friends!

    Richard Vanderkloet

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's peace to each of you,

    I would like to extend my condolences to you. I remember him storming through the hall on Grandparent’s days at HMDCS. He would comment on how many grandkids he had to get to in such a short period of time. He carried a strong personality with him and what appeared to be a fierce love for his grandchildren. May the God of all comfort and strength be both of those to you during this difficult time. We praise God for his faithfulness to the promises he has made to us and it is in him that we find our peace and rest. I reflected and prayed for each of your family that I had as parents or students while I was at HMDCS. I would like you to know that I have put to mind each of you: Harry and Sharon, Jackie and Paul, Francy and Karl, Len and Carrie, and Albert and Marry Ann. May God continue to give you strength as you celebrate his life. I continue to pray for my former students (or some I just coached) Andrew, Josh, Maria, Thomas, Brad, Jesse, Katelyn, Darren, James, Peter, Justin, Stacey, Rachel, Evan, Tim, Jason, and Sarah. I pray the bond that you share through the heritage of faith in your family will remain strong, carrying you through the tough times but remaining the foundation throughout your years.
    I pray for you this day and in the days to come.

    In Christ,
    Mr. B - Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the opportunity to sing with the Ontario Christian Music Assembly for many years under the direction of Lendeert Kooij and will miss him and the choir.

    ReplyDelete